Saturday, May 14, 2011

WIn or Place?


A racetrack buddy of mine, Matt C., texted me after the races today, “Four out of five on a $3 ticket? Not a bad start to the season!”


He’s right, keeping in mind that caution was the order of the day at Monmouth, but we did miss leg 3 very badly. Monmouth does not have a consolation payout for four out of five.


I did hit the new Place Pick 6 today. How could I resist playing the new low takeout 50¢ wager at Monmouth? For a $12 bet I collected the $39.15 payout twice for a profit of $66.30. The question with the place pick 6 was: do you play a small ticket with fewer choices or a larger ticket hoping to hit both 1st and 2nd in a race? Hitting both win and place in a leg can lead to multiple winning tickets. First time, the pool was $15,229. When the pick 5 first started its pool size was similar.


Tomorrow, I have a theatre date with my wife, so I am not sure that I will have tickets up for Sunday. Also, there is a 90% chance of thunderstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment