Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Uncle Mo is Back!

I just posted a blog on HorseRacingNation.com about my day at Belmont Park for Super Saturday. I have always been a huge fan of Uncle Mo and have maintained my belief that he was the kind of superstar that horse racing needs badly. It was really exciting to see Mo dominate the Kelso Handicap in a stellar time of 1:33.82. Owner Mike Repole helps to make Uncle Mo even more of a crowd favorite. My blog contains a lot of interesting quotes from Repole that I recorded in the winner's circle. What a thrill to spend the day so close to so many of racing's superstars.

Here is the beginning of the blog. Please go to horseracingnation.com to read the full article.

It had been way too long since I had been to Belmont Park. It was with great anticipation that I headed to Super Saturday. There would be five grade one races, but I was most looking forward to the Kelso Handicap, which was a mere grade two event. The Kelso was where Uncle Mo was running.


I had seen Uncle Mo in his stall in the Todd Pletcher barn in Oklahoma area at Saratoga. He was contently hanging out, resting his head on his hay net. Uncle Mo impressed me with his calm and laid back demeanor. He was a happy horse.


Before the Kelso the paddock was bustling with anticipation. The whole Repole clan was there and they were wearing the Repole colors. There were orange blazers and ties. Many guys were wearing orange and blue caps emblazoned with logos of NY, the circled blue R of the Repole Stable, or the name Uncle Mo. Women were accessorized in orange and blue. It was a New York crowd. Eventually owner Mike Repole made his way into the scene and jokingly said, “Let me go train the horse!” Meanwhile jockey John Velazquez walked in and sought out the Repole grandmother to get a good luck kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment